Tuesday, June 29, 2010

iMapMyRide Now On Android

Fail.
 
My entire time in Okinawa I used the website MapMyRide to record my ride times and plot out my route. I didn't love it, but it was good and I was loyal to it as I saw many improvements over time.
Now back in the states and with my new phone, I began to use Google My Tracks. A very nice GPS tracking program that also records every aspect of your position: Speed, Total Distance, Max Speed, Total Time, Average Speed, Moving Time, Average Moving Speed, Elevation, Elevation Gain, Min Elevation, Max Elevation, Min Grade, Max Grade, and your Lat/Long position. I've loved using it and only lost the ability to see my calorie burn estimate (I'm sure there's another app for that). I became less of a "slave to the numbers" like I was using MapMyRide and I didn't have to log onto a [slow] website after each ride to record it.
So now MapMyRide has finally brought their iMapMyRide application to Android. This is something that people have been waiting and asking about for a long time. Here's the problem: it's the iPhone app exactly. I see no effort made to have this app work the way it should for Android. The menu button does nothing, because the menu is always displayed at the bottom of the screen. The back button does not take you back to the application's previous screen, it takes you to the phone's home screen (exiting the app). And there are a bunch of other "what happened here" sort of problems with the application that make it something you just don't want to use.
 
I'm going to stick with My Tracks, sorry MapMyRide, but you lost me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment